BANKING AT KCU
The high school branch will provide students with real-life financial lessons by allowing them to open and manage their own credit union accounts, including:
- Savings Accounts
- Freedom Checking Accounts (with Debit Cards)
The Knights Credit Union is located inside the Northwest High School cafeteria. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday during lunch bells. For service before/after lunch or on weekends, you may call or visit KCU’s parent company: Cincinnati Police Federal Credit Union, 3550 Springdale Road (next to Red Lobster). Phone: (513) 385-4808.
See the KCU Account Application Packet for the terms and conditions of the accounts listed above. Please read and carefully review the enclosed information. If you are interested in opening an account with Knights Credit Union, please complete and return the application packet to a representative at the student credit union.
- Students under the age of 18 will need parental permission to open an account. Complete the attached application packet to get started.
- Just $10 is needed to open a Savings and Checking Account ($5 deposit to each account).
- A Knights Credit Union ATM has been installed in the lobby of the high school.
- All funds deposited to the Knights Credit Union are federally insured up to $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a U.S. government agency.
We encourage all students to participate in this unique experience as you will learn real-life financial lessons that will help you throughout your lifetime. As you leave NWHS, your account and the skills you’ve learned go with you to the next chapter of your life.
Open an account today! ACCOUNT APPLICATION
WORKING AT KCU
As a representative of the Knights Credit Union, you will be asked to promote the credit union in a positive and professional manner. You will also help implement programs to increase membership, as well as broaden the use of the credit union services in your school. Personal qualities and skills needed include: honesty, excellent attendance, neat and clean appearance, personable and pleasant attitude, enjoy working with fellow students and adults, follow proper chain of command when a problem arises, and understand the importance of proper cash handling procedures.
Tellers. The Tellers will be responsible for receiving deposits and issuing withdrawals. They will verify that the deposit/withdrawal slip from each student has been properly completed. They are responsible for their cash drawers and balancing at the end of their shift. Tellers will also be expected to assist in the advertisement and promotion of the student credit union. These students will work during their regular lunch period on one or two days every week. Responsibilities will include:
- Providing friendly customer service
- Receiving deposits and issuing withdrawals
- Verifying accuracy of deposit/withdrawal slips
- Maintaining and balancing cash drawer
- Assisting in the advertisement and promotion of the branch
Branch Managers. The Branch Managers will manage the entire branch. These managers will help by setting up and putting away materials for each day the credit union is operating. These students must have a study hall during 4th bell so they can work the entire bell. Responsibilities will include:
- Providing teller training and assistance
- Assisting with online banking
- Keeping branch in order
- Recording employee attendance
Marketing Coordinators. The Marketing Coordinators will manage all promotional activities for the branch; these must be creative and outgoing individuals. These managers will work to develop ideas for seasonal promotions, posters and announcements. These management position do not require that you have 4th bell study hall, however you will still be expected to work a teller shift. Responsibilities will include:
- Organizing, coordinating, and staffing KCU promotional events (games, concerts, open houses, etc.)
- Distributing prizes/promotional items
- Managing social media accounts for KCU
- Creating signs to distribute throughout the school; writing informational and fun announcements
- Advertising and/or publishing articles in school yearbooks, newspapers and parent newsletters
- Suggesting financial education programs you would like to have as part of the student branch
- Developing ways in which the student branch can participate in school related events
In addition, COPFCU will be training two employees to work as a paid co-op at the branch on Springdale Road two days a week (either Tuesday/Thursday or Wednesday/Friday) after school. These two students will actually work within the framework of the computer systems of COPFCU. These jobs will be filled by two of the students hired for volunteer positions listed above.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Student team members are expected to be on time and ready to start working at their scheduled time. Students will be released as a credit union team member if absent three (3) times or more.
- Student team members will be friendly, courteous and professional in their duties to all in our school and local communities.
- Student team members will wear their Knights Credit Union shirt and name badge when working during their scheduled time. Their appearance should be neat and clean, to the best of their abilities.
- Student team members will be careful with the money and credit union property they are handling, keeping it safe and secure at all times.
- Student team members will follow the instructions of the credit union supervisor in the discharge of their positions.
- Student team members will perform the job to the best of their ability, take pride in their work, and ask questions that will help them be their best.
- Student team members are never to perform their own account transactions.
- All personal information, account balances, deposit amounts, and account numbers are confidential. Student team members will be instructed and expected to handle each transaction in a way that assures the member’s privacy. Student team members must never discuss this information with friends, family or anyone else as this is a violation of the credit union’s confidentiality agreement.
- Student team members will accept responsibility for making up any missed class work due to the performance of his/her school branch duties. To continue to be a student team member, a student team member’s class work and/or grades cannot suffer.
- Parent/Guardian signature will authorize Cincinnati Police Federal Credit Union and the Knights Credit Union to take and use photographs of student team members for appropriate educational partnership purposes such as publications, news releases, training videos, and marketing materials.